Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Christer Weinigel (wingel@hog.ctrl-c.liu.se)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 04:51:26 EST

jas88@cam.ac.uk wrote:
> > This introduces one new thing which is really incompatible with
> > POSIX filesystems, a file that can also act as a directory.
>
> That's absolutely horrible.
>
> > What is the basic reason why this directory can't live in a special
> > directory called ".fork"? So instead of doing "cd file-with-forks"
> > one does "cd .fork/file-with-forks"?
>
> That's also horrible.

It might be horrible, but how else are you going to solve it? As
Linus has said, NTFS is not POSIX compatible anyway, but it has to be
supported somehow.

> BTW: What do you do if there's a real directory called ".fork"? Or a
> file?

Tough luck, on NTFS file systems the name ".fork" is reserved.

> You also still have the original problem of naming the forks!
>
> If I create "foo" and "bar", both with a fork called "splat", what tree do
> I get? This one:
>
> foo
> bar
> .fork/foo:splat
> .fork/bar:splat

Almost, with / instead of : as the separator.

bash$ ls -R .fork
.fork:
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 3 wingel wingel 4096 Aug 14 11:48 foo
drwxrwxr-x 3 wingel wingel 4096 Aug 14 11:49 bar

./fork/foo:
total 160
-rw-rw-r-- 1 wingel wingel 154270 Aug 11 15:31 splat

./fork/bar:
total 160
-rw-rw-r-- 1 wingel wingel 154270 Aug 11 15:31 splat

> > That would work on ext2, NFS or any POSIX like filesystem.
>
> It might possibly work, but it would leave a mess on the keyboard. Don't
> do it.

It's how AppleShare has been done with Netatalk for a long time.

  /Christer