Re: [patch] 2.4.0-pre6 StackGuard gcc makefile fix

From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 09:26:25 EST

Hi David,

> Under what circumstances is it valid for the arch Makefile to override the
> setting of CROSS_COMPILE which the user has explicitly set in the top-level
> Makefile?

Would you like a pessimistic answer, or an optimistic answer?

Pessimistic answer: any Makefile can play with any variable that it
feels like at any time. Think 'Windows Registry', with bonus points
for achieving subtle effects by using delayed '=' assignment.

Optimistic answer: first, I have documented the existing setup. Second,
I'll try some more to get my documentation merged. Third, anyone who cares
(including me) can refine the docs to track each variable precisely and
fix the code so that each distinct variable belongs to one authority.

> I thought it was only m68k which did this, and that it had since been fixed.

    % grep 'CROSS_COMPILE.*=' arch/*/Makefile
    arch/mips/Makefile:CROSS_COMPILE = $(tool-prefix)
    arch/mips64/Makefile:CROSS_COMPILE = $(tool-prefix)
    arch/sh/Makefile:CROSS_COMPILE = $(tool_prefix)

Michael