Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Michael Rothwell (rothwell@holly-springs.nc.us)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 10:08:28 EST

Rogier Wolff wrote:

> So, as long as the stuff is representable on a normal filesystem, you
> get the OPTION of running it off a normal filesystem.

Goes back to the question: why should
all filesystems be forced to look like Ext2?
If you want to kludge a non-ext2 filesystem
onto ext2, you can use ".LinuxDouble" directories
as several people have suggested. But it's just
a hack -- and one that pollutes the namespace and
can lead to orphaned files.

> In your case, if we go with the suggested duality, you wouldn't have
> been able to serve the filesystem to the apples. You'd have to create
> & mount an HFS filesystem. Then, when you would remove the somefile,
> the resource would automatically disappear. Are you sure you want
> that?

Who says that netatalk has to stop doing what it's doing?
Conversely, why must HFS convert to Ext2-palatable format,
and then netatalk do the inverse? Isn't that just a lot
of extra busy work?

> Oh, about orphaned forks: If you happen to want to serve the apples
> from a non-apple filesystem, then you can easily run a nightly deamon
> that finds the orphaned forks, and deletes them.

Yuck! What if Ext2 didn't delete a percentage
of its files until a nightly cron job ran?

> How's this?
>
> find $appefilesystems -name .Appledouble -exec cleanup_resources {} \;
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #cleanup_resources -- By REW
> cd $1
> for i in $*
> do
> if [ ! -f "../$i" ] ; then
> rm "$i"
> fi
> done

mmm... institutionalizing filesystem corruption.

-M