Re: 2.4 and PCMCIA (broken)

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 21:56:04 EST

Harald Welte wrote:

> for me (using a 3com 3c575 card) pcmcia networking didn't work at all.
> The first issue is:
>
> - the 3c575_cb.o module is gone.
> at least till test4, the 3c575_cb.o was a symlink to the 3c90x.o module.

3c59x.o. Yeah, we don't have a clean solution for this. An `alias
3c575_cb 3c59x' in modules.conf will fix it, but screws you up if you
boot 2.2. Manually adding the symlink is another way.

> so I tried to add this symlink myself, with partial success. cardmgr now
> loads the module as soon as the card is inserted, the driver is loaded,
> but the MAC address is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff and nothing works. You can't even
> setup an IP address.

It's not reading the EEPROM correctly. Please apply the patch at
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/3c59x.patch and if that doesn't
work, please invert the value of EEPROM_8BIT in your NIC's entry in
vortex_pci_tbl[] and let me know the outcome.