Re: NTFS-like streams?

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 17:18:00 EST

torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) wrote on 13.08.00 in <8n6sj8$2tn$1@penguin.transmeta.com>:

> In article <7jlEMswXw-B@khms.westfalen.de>,
> Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> wrote:
> >torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) wrote on 12.08.00 in
> ><8n4d8u$2ik$1@penguin.transmeta.com>:
> >> And usability concerns _are_ real concerns. I'm claiming that the best
> >> interface for such a filesystem would be
> >>
> >> open("file", O_RDONLY) - opens the default fork
> >> open("file/Icon", O_RDONLY) - opens the Icon fork
> >> open("file/Creator"...
> >>
> >> readdir("file") - lists the resources that the file has
> >
> >That's a very different semantic from what MacOS does, and looks like a
> >pretty poor match for the data structures involved.
>
> Ehh.
>
> The above is apparently _exactly_ that MacOS X does.

Maybe for NeXT-style Apps, which use just a standard Unix directory and no
forks. Or maybe for Carbon apps. Remember that MacOS X hosts three very
different kinds of applications.

Those are:
1. Traditional MacOS, inside a tradMacOS-emulator a.k.a. "blue box"
2. Slightly updated API *without* emulator, "Carbon".
3. NeXT-style apps.

I know 1 needs real MacOS forks, 3 needs no forks at all, no idea what 2
does. Default filesystem for MacOS X is supposed to be HFS+, which has
real forks.

If anybody knows for sure (that is, has seen an actual MacOS X machine and
has investigated these things), I'd like to hear. But I'm sceptical about
rumours.

> Sure. Forget the naming: I don't actuall yknow what the different
> resources are on Macs. Think of if as the generic interface.

On MacOS, 32 bit/4 char resource type, 16 bit resource number, optional
255 character resource name, resource data. Those really are fully generic
- parts of te OS know about specific types and numbers, but the Resource
Manager doesn't care.

I suppose '\0\0\0\0' resource types might be ugly. That depends on how the
interface gets implemented.

MfG Kai