Re: linux-2.4-test & innd

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 01:19:23 EST

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Henrik Størner wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 10:31:21PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Can you please double-check exactly which kernel started doing this? I
> > have some mixed reports about the "test1-ac" series kernels doing this
> > too.
>
> A pure 2.4.0-test1 kernel also has the bug. It is actually quite easy
> to test for:
>
> * fire up the kernel and innd
> * inject a couple of articles using rnews
> * note the numbers listed for the newsgroup in the active file
> * restart innd and check the active file again
>
> If it has the bug, the active file will forget all updates after inn
> is restarted. This happens with 2.4.0-test1 also.

I don't know if it is related, but I've noticed a serious bug
in filemap.c while playing with my new VM patch.

It seems that something in filemap.c (add_to_page_cache_unique?)
is calling lru_cache_add for pages which are _already_ on a page
list...

In my new VM patch, this is caught by the DEBUG_ADD_PAGE in the
lru_cache_add function, while in the vanilla Linux 2.4 tree,
this could/should lead to a corruption of the page lru list,
with all bad consequences it brings with it (list corruption,
maybe stray pointers, maybe a memory leak and maybe even data
corruption or data loss).

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/