Re: xmms and es1371 produce static impulse about five times per second

From: D. Hugh Redelmeier (hugh@mimosa.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 21:27:02 EST

| From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>

| To: thomas.vaughan@nssl.noaa.gov

| > because of misbehavior of xmms. I amd forwarding it to linux-kernel
| > because I didn't notice the problem until after I upgraded from 2.2.16 to
| > 2.4.0-test5. I am using the stock es1371 module.
|
| Seen with assorted cards. Seems to be a VM problem not a driver problem

Interesting. Here is a bug report I recently made. Is this related?

Subject: es1371 noisy on my system

Problem summary: sounds played on my system becomes very distorted
when there is another process using a lot of CPU, even if it is niced.

System:

- Red Hat 6.2 with Red Hat's version of 2.2.16.

- the last entry in the change history in
  /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/drivers/sound/es1371.c is:
 * 05.01.2000 0.22 Should now work with rev7 boards; patch by
 * Eric Lemar, elemar@cs.washington.edu

- Abit BP6 with 2 Celeron 300a CPUs running at 450MHz (stable, honest!)

- A one year old version of the Sound Blaster / Ensonic card.
  /proc/pci says:
  Bus 0, device 17, function 0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 (rev 6).
      Slow devsel. IRQ 19. Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=12.Max Lat=128.
      I/O at 0xb000 [0xb001].

Observations:

- sound is OK (slight crackling) when nothing else is happening on system

- when one CPU-intensive process is run at the same time, the sound is
  bad, but can be understood. Even if the process is "nice -19"

- when a second CPU-intensive process is run at the same time, the
  sound is almost totally distorted.

- these observations apply even when I change music playing programs.
  I tried:
  - xmms
  - mpg123
  - play applied to a PCM file produced by mpg123 -s

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh@mimosa.com voice: +1 416 482-8253