Re: 2.2.1{6,7pre} and 2.4x: sc450nx boot problem

From: ken moffat (ken@kenmoffat.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 16:35:18 EST

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Arnaud S . Launay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Trying to boot our new quadri-xeon machine, I can't arrive to do
> anything. I've successfully booted a 2.0.38 kernel, but vanilla 2.2.16,
> 17pre19 or even 2.4.0-test-7pre4 stops booting after

> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
>
> and there's nothing more. it's just a kernel on a bootdisk, as I
> wanted to install it.
> (method: make dep clean bzImage; dd if=arch/i386/boot/bzImage of=/dev/fd0)
>
> It just seems like it fails to detect any processor. Does anybody
> knows how could I make it boot ?
>
> Hardware config: intel sc450nx with 4 xeon 550, 1GB ram ecc.
>
> Thanks for any idea,
> Arnaud.
> --
> Emacs, not just a way of life but a complete waste of disk space (Alan Cox)
> -
Arnaud,
 I'd guess you haven't set "Processor Type and Features" in menuconfig or
whatever. It now gives you an unbootable kernel if you don't set it correctly,
whereas 2.0 and early 2.2 were just badly optimised.
Ken
  -- Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as
fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the
Penguin, and nice red uniforms.
 "Monty Penguin" (well, what did you expect? I don't do Python ;-()