Is there inode leak in 2.2.16 + errata or not?

From: Nick Evgeniev (nick@octet.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 04:02:22 EST

There is one thing I still worried about after upgrading from 2.2.14 to
2.2.16 + errata update + openwall security patch...
With 2.2.16 I become out of inodes quickly.... it doesn't depends on network
or system load just on total uptime...
I started to increase inode-max via /proc/sys/fs/inode-max ... I increase
and get out of them, still increase and still get out of them.

So far I've got inode-max set to 20480, and according to
$ cat /proc/sys/fs/inode-state
20490 139 0 0 0 0 0

I've got only 139 inodes free, while lsof lists that there are only about
2000 inodes in use... And soon I'll got out of inodes messages again...

Could somebody clarify what's going on with my rock-solid kernel?!
Should I boot it every week? :-/