Re: Binary files in the kernel sources?

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 05:55:00 EST

rothwell@flyingbuttmonkeys.com (Michael Rothwell) wrote on 21.08.00 in <39A0BCBE.D9D67458@flyingbuttmonkeys.com>:

> "Mike A. Harris" wrote:
> > My guess is the only reason for logo.gif is that nobody has
> > bothered to notice it or care. Anyone care to convert it and
> > submit a png? Sending a diff of a png wouldn't be a good idea I
> > don't think. ;O)
>
> Could be that .gif is a simpler format,
> and therefore more suitable for in-kernel use.

Could, but is not. GIF and PNG have approximately the same functionality,
with mostly these differences IIRC:

* GIF has thumbnail and animation support
* PNG is much better thought out and has a far more regular structure
* PNG has *far* better documentation (RFC 2083, for starters).

If anything, I'd say PNG is simpler.

MfG Kai