SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on native Linux"

From: Joerg Pommnitz (pommnitz@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2000 - 12:10:02 EST

Hi Lists,
The Register has an article about the Linux compatibility layer
for Unixware.
The article claims

quote> SCO's Juergen Kienhoefer tells us that by mapping clone processes
quote> directly onto UnixWare's native threads, huge performance gains
quote> can be realised. "Basically thread creation is about a thousand
quote> times faster than on native Linux," he said. The performance boost
quote> could particularly benefit applications such as Domino, according
quote> Kienhoefer.

Somehow I doubt this. I could believe that the glibc pthread layer
causes a lot of overhead for the thread creation, but I cannot
imagine that they get clone 1000 times faster than the Linux kernel.

Comments?

Joerg

=====

--
Regards
       Joerg

__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere! http://mail.yahoo.com/ - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/