Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on native Linux"

From: Mark Kettenis (kettenis@wins.uva.nl)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 07:36:12 EST

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:
>In article <200008231822.e7NIMrN167635@saturn.cs.uml.edu>,
>Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Ulrich Drepper has repeatedly flamed Linus for not adding the
>>features needed for low-overhead POSIX threads. Linus thinks
>>the POSIX thread interface is broken, so he won't add the ugly
>>bits needed to sanely reach POSIX compliance.
>
>Wrong. I'd be happy to add the bits, it's just that nobody has sent me a
>sane patch. People complain a lot, but I haven't seen anything constructive.

Linus is right. There just seems to be nobody with the right set of
skills who is interested in doing the work, so it just doesn't get
done.

On the issue of 1:1 versus 1:many:

* The consesus on comp.programming.threads seems to be that 1:1 is
  preferable over 1:many. It seems to be too difficult to get the
  1:many right, and the Solaris' two-level library seems to have
  considerable problems. That's why there is an additional 1:1
  library in Solaris 8.

* A proper two-level threads library does need kernel support to start
  new kernel threads when too many of the other kernel threads get
  blocked in the kernel.

Mark