Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on native Linux"

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 11:29:35 EST

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:

> How about allowing the thread root process to do all that junk by giving it
> raw signals - e.g. delivering SUSPEND - and then letting it distribute
> via a pthread_kill?

I don't think that is a good approach from a performance point of view -
it's too similar to what we already do.

HOWEVER, I suspect that pthreads compatibility with signals may require us
to have that thread root process (even if it isn't used for anything
else), because I think that makes our signal handling be POSIX-conformant:
if I remember correctly POSIX does allow the notion of having signals
handled in a special thread that doesn't do anything else. It would still
mean that if you create 'n' pthreads threads, you actually get 'n+1'
kernel threads, but hey, one of them is going to be dormant pretty much
all the time.

                        Linus