Re: DEC21150 bridge and unsupported 3COM NIC

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 10:09:44 EST

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Martin Mares wrote:

> Hi Tigran!
>
> > Let's have a look at what's going on with the DEC21150 bridge, this is on
> > 2.4 TODO list.
>
> It seems the problem has nothing to do with DEC21150 -- it's just a collision
> between a bus number assigned by us to CardBus and the same one assigned by
> the BIOS to a PCI bridge (in this case, a 21150).
>
> Please try this patch, it should help (it modifies the bus scan to work
> in two passes and assign new numbers after all already assigned ones are
> known).

Hi Martin,

I have tried your patch against 2.4.0-test7 and confirm that it works
beautifully - the device 3C905C-TX behind the bridge is recognized and
working just fine.

Hugh and Simon, this means you can use your docking stations now.

Martin, however, there are now some interesting PCI-related messages on
boot which didn't happen before - I attached them for your analysis, if
you are interested.

Regards,
Tigran