RE: [RFC] Implementing temporal affinity

From: Chris Swiedler (ceswiedler@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 15:16:19 EST

> > B only ran for 15 cycles, and therefore it ISN'T the time-affinity
> process.
>
> But it is. It's run long enough to load the CPU cache with it's own
> instructions and data. Since you are trying to preserve the CPU cache,
> you want it to run again instead of something else. Right?

We would only set last_cpu IF the process has run for N cycles, where N is
enough to fill the CPU cache. If 15 cycles loads the cache, then N=15. So in
that case, B's last_cpu would be set, and it would be tied to that
processor. The actual value is tunable, and depends largely on the size of
the L2 cache.

chris