Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than onnative

From: dean gaudet (dean-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 00:49:05 EST

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> There are a couple of really obvious states where you don't need to
> record the full path to where we slept.
>
> - The schedule() in ret_from_sys_call.
>
> - do_poll().
>
> The first is used when pre-empting, such as when we have lots of threads
> running. The second is used by almost every task that sleeps, including
> heavy duty servers.

hmm, if i'm writing a heavy duty server that uses enough kernel threads to
start worrying about the number of stacks in use, then i'm probably not
calling poll(). i'm probably blocking in disk/net reads/writes directly.
i'd only be using poll() if i'm doing userland threads/state-machines.

(i was trying to go through this logic myself when the thread started and
i stopped when i realised that if lots of kernel threads are in use then
there's probably not a lot of common blocking points.)

-dean