Re: abstract file (support multi-part)

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 16:07:39 EST

[sorry about delay with replying - I've got to cleaning the mailbox only now]

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> OK, time to be really sick.

Aren't you always?

> You have a drive f: with a file "bar" in the current directory.
> You have a directory "f" in the current directory on the current drive.
> Directory "f" has an EA called "bar".
> Directory "f" has a stream called "bar".
> In the same place as "f", you have a file named "f:bar".
>
> BTW, somebody go see if Viro needs CPR.

Nah. I don't even need a new keyboard - I've put the cup down when I
saw From:.

Albert, repeat after me: "Ten millions of people doing the idiotic thing
do not make it good". Now, be a good boy, go and play in a traff^W^W^Wwith
Hurd. They will love you - GNU gets high on mindless featuritis. We are
_not_ obliged to repeat every silliness ever done by somebody. World will
not end if we will not support streams. Linux will not die because of
that. Really. Somebody will have to rewrite his NT code in portable way?
Tough. I would be very surprised if the lack of streams would be his main
problems, though - absense of Visual C++ class libraries is much more
likely to cause problems in porting.

If we can support this stuff without introducing ugliness in the kernel
and without breaking the userland - fine. Go and bring the patches.
Otherwise you are out of luck. Deal.