Re: genhd.c?

From: Cesar Eduardo Barros (cesarb@nitnet.com.br)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 18:47:46 EST

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 12:34:36AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> Cesar Eduardo Barros writes:
> > Just because it "will be fixed in the future" means you'll leave it in the most
> > stupid location possible, where it'll confuse hordes of newbies and make them
> > think we're all crazy?
>
> FYO, it's not a recent change. It was done probably about a year
> ago or more (around the beginnings of 2.3 iirc), and there was more
> reason back then to leave it there than there is now.
>
> There's nothing stopping you from cleaning it up. The only problem I
> see now is whether Linus will accept "the correct" cleanup given that
> it will potentially affect a large number of drivers.

If the cleanup is just to move it from drivers/block to init/ and give it a new
name or put its contents inside main.c, I think it won't affect any driver at
all, and thus is even less harmless and riskless than the recent bulk move of
media drivers.

If there is enough agreement as to where to put it (init/init.c as someone in
IRC suggested? Move it inside init/main.c? Move it to init/genhd.c?), I'll make
a patch.

--
Cesar Eduardo Barros
cesarb@nitnet.com.br