Re: UDMA trouble in VT82C586 IDE

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 01:19:43 EST

Hi Cesar,

All Vojtech has to do is accept responsiblity for the chipset code.
I mean all flavors of the bastardization of the design.
This includes the ones that you can change the chipset reporting type if
you know the dirty-secrets. The problem is that some mainboard
manufacturers alter the PCI ID codes to fake compatablity.

Now if your board is one of these boards, then I would expect it to not
work.

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, Cesar Eduardo Barros wrote:

> It works great now. I got a month-old full rewrite of via82cxxx.c from
> Vojtech Pavlik in the lkml archives and compiled it.
>
> Linus: I think it should be included. The old driver is messy, hairy, and fails
> to work here. The new one is clean, neat, and works fine. If you lost the

Just because you have a newer wierder combination does not mean the old
and lousy is junk.

Again, if Vojtech will put it on the line that compatablity/support is
better go for it. In the past Vojtech was not ready to jump on this and
run. I have one, and only one, completely corrupted drive, beyond
recovery by any means, because of one incomplete thought in the design.

I will not accept this happenning again.