Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than

From: yodaiken@fsmlabs.com
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 23:42:28 EST

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 09:55:50PM -0700, Marty Fouts wrote:
> In the committee we were stuck trying to resolve a battle between a
> community that wanted per-thread signals, a different community that wanted
> threads to not (necessarily) be visible outside of the calling process, et
> cetera. The answer to your 'why not' was that we deliberately avoided
> distinguishing between thread and process precisely to allow both

My proposal does not require any more of a distinction than is already
in the spec: the spec repeatedly warns that thread ids are not necessarily
visible outside the process and the notion of a thread within a process
is all over the spec.
e.g.
|This standard includes system interfaces to support applications with
|requirements for multiple flows of control, called
|threads, within a process.

And one of the problems that motivated this discussion was the POSIX
requirement that a signal sent to a "multithreaded process" be sent to
some thread that has enabled that signal or, if no thread is willing
to accept it, the signal must be marked pending and then
delivered to the first thread that enables that signal. When
threads are processes it's a pain to implement this.

> The *real* problem with posix wasn't overdesign, but rather,
> overgeneralization. When you are doing an extention to an OS standard that
> doesn't even specify the memory model, it is hard to not overgeneralize.

But some things are specified in grotesque detail -- eg. this signal
delivery mechanism. Or consider
pthread_cancel and the elaborate set of cancellation states. Or pthread_join,
a relic from the days when Modula and CSP were considered serious
programming languages.

> Standards committes aren't in the business of pointing out the one true
> path; they are in the business of describing the least offensive compromise
> among existing practicies and pet theories.

I'm generally in favor of POSIX, but the spec does wander into pet-theories
too much.

> If you want a description of the one-true-path, you have to go to research
> communities :)

What I want is a spec that says: here is the standard API and a coherent
set of expected semantics that allow users to write portable programs.
Such a spec might easily say: if you mix threads with async I/O you
are in trouble, if you use process signals as IPC to threads you are
in trouble, ...
POSIX does do that enough to make it usable -- invaluable, but not enough
to make me happy.