Re: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 11:50:55 EST

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Martin MaD Douda wrote:

> And what will be done, when thread-group leader (tgig==pid) will exec() ?
> If I read your core correctly, it will be de_threaded by seting tgid=pid,
> but it was before! So the process will _not_ be removed from thread group.
> and it will remain in thread group _after_ exec.

No.

It actually gets removed from the process group list and thus the common
signal case.

But yes, it will continue to have the same id, though, which is basically
why the traditional notion of process groups have the notion of "orphans".
Which I don't think is necessary in this case: it's easier to just say
"this is what happens, are you sure you want to do that, then?".

Note that _pthreads_ would never know, because under a pthreads emulation
layer the thread group leader would never be seen as a "real thread"
anyway. So even if we'd extend the notion of execve() into pthreads, this
would never show up.

                Linus