Re: If loadable modules are covered by Linux GPL?

From: Matt D. Robinson (yakker@alacritech.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 14:46:11 EST

I agree with Simon here. I'd personally like to see some form of
GNU GPL Loadable Module Compliance Standard for all loadable modules.
It isn't enough to go with the loose interpretation of the GNU GPL as
it applies to inclusion of header files, system call interfaces,
re-defined function pointers for operations tables, inline functions,
macro #defines, etc.

Who is best qualified to judge whether something must be released
as GPL or not? In addition, are there specific lawyers to speak with
about kernel related GPL concerns before releasing a driver/module?

--Matt