Re: File system

From: Dax Kelson (dax@gurulabs.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 21:57:18 EST

Robert Schweikert said once upon a time (Tue, 29 Aug 2000):

> I read in the September issue of Linux Journal that there is a potential
> development of an ext3 FS, which would be a journaling file system. This
> seems kind of odd to me, as JFS and XFS are both proven file systems,
> the code for both is I think GPLed, wouldn't the resources for ext3 not
> be better used getting JFS and XFS ported as quickly as possible?
>
> I'm just curious.

It is not potential, it exists, it works (no "meta-data only" or
performance tuning yet). Ext3 is simply ext2+journaling. It is very low
risk to try it out as you can easily go back to ext2. I dare say that 95%
of the Linux boxes out there currently run ext2. Once ext3 releases, it
provides an easy in place upgrade of functionality without the trouble of
nuking your current filesystem, creating new XYZ filesystem, and restoring
your data.

I converted a 25GB ext2 filesystem to ext3 and back to ext2 without
problems.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs