Re: Upgrading a 2.2.14-5.0 kernel to 2.2.16-3 kernel

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 01:05:41 EST

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 06:56:25 +0100 (BST),
Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>We have a Dell PowerEdge server runninng RH 6.0 with the RH 2.2.14-5.0
>kernel. Now, I am aware there are some security issues with the 2.2.14
>kernel, however our Dell server requires the use of the third party
>MegaTrends RAID driver which is loaded through initrd.
>
>Will upgrading the kernel to 2.2.16-3 affect the initrd image? Or will I
>have to reinstall the initrd image with it?

By initrd I assume you mean the driver is loaded as a module from
initrd? modprobe/insmod require that the module and kernel have the
same version number (ignoring redhat version numbers like -3) or that
both the module and kernel be compiled with symbol versions and the
checksums must match for all symbols in the module.

Bottom line, loading a binary module from kernel a.b.c into kernel
x.y.z is not safe unless the checksums are present and still match.
You can force the load with "insmod -f" but that is usually a case of
"gun, meet foot - gun, shoot foot".