Re: 2.2.16 deadlocking in schedule()

From: David Weis (djweis@plconline.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 12:41:09 EST

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I am running 2.2.16 unpatched on a PII-450 with 512 megs of memory. The
> > disk controller is a Mylex DAC960. Recently the machine seems to be
> > locking up under moderate load. I wanted to see what was causing it, and
> > running setiathome seems to be a pretty good trigger for it. Using
> > control-scroll lock showed that the seti process, along with any new
> > processes I tried to start ended up as deadlocked.
>
> Please try 2.2.17pre20. THis has various vm and other fixes as well as an
> updated DAC960 driver

That fixed it partly. I'm still getting lots of uninterruptible processes,
but it lasted a few hours this time before getting bad. The freeze is
still occurring in schedule().

Any other advice?

dave

--
David Weis                | 10520 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50322
djweis@plconline.com      | Voice 515-278-0133 Ext 231