2.4.0-test7-vmpatch2 very sluggish on Toshiba laptop

From: Goblin (h0b_g0blin@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 16:47:12 EST

I am running Mandrake 7.1, pretty much stock with all the updates. I
would like to know how I might go about determining why my system is
incredibly sluggish using new kernels. Stock Mandrake kernels run great.

I guess I wanted to know if there was anyone else having the same
experience. Specifically, X is where I notice it the most. Even Eterm
takes forever to scroll a little. No disk activity.

I've got 128 megs of RAM, and it's a PIII 500.
Binutils 2.9.5.0.31
Gcc 2.95.3 19991030 (prerelease)

All this is probably not enough info, so if anyone can help me at least
supply enough info to help solve my problem, I'd be in debt to them.

Attatched is my .config

 Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how
 restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The opinions
 stated above are yours. You cannot imagine why you ever felt otherwise.