Re: 2.4.0-test7-vmpatch2 very sluggish on Toshiba laptop

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 17:01:43 EST

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Goblin wrote:

> I am running Mandrake 7.1, pretty much stock with all the updates. I
> would like to know how I might go about determining why my system is
> incredibly sluggish using new kernels. Stock Mandrake kernels run great.
>
> I guess I wanted to know if there was anyone else having the
> same experience. Specifically, X is where I notice it the most.
> Even Eterm takes forever to scroll a little. No disk activity.

"No disk activity" indicates that it's probably not VM activity
keeping you back...

> All this is probably not enough info, so if anyone can help me at least
> supply enough info to help solve my problem, I'd be in debt to them.

If you run 'top' or 'vmstat', is there a big difference in output
between what 2.2 and 2.4 tell you?

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/