Re: Linux 2.2.18pre1

From: Bill Rugolsky Jr. (rugolsky@ead.dsa.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 11:07:29 EST

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 12:05:03PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> People would appreciate lots of things but stability happens to come first.
> Thats why its primarily focussed on driver stuff not on revamping the
> internals. Right now Im not happy with the nfsv3 stuff I last looked at and
> it seems to still contain things Linus rejected a while back.

Alan, would you please describe in a few words what items are
problematic? Are the changes simply too extensive for your comfort?
Are there still areas of compatibility in userland that you want ironed out?

If the problem is more specific than that, is it Trond's client code:
SunRPC rewrite? caching? Credentials?

This is not a *me too!* request that you put it in; those of us with
environments heavily dependent on NFS have been patching for so long,
it hardly matters any more, especially now that the patches have been
consolidated by Trond and Dave Higgens, and 2.4 is shaping up. I'm just
curious as to what the perceived problems are, since you inevitably see
lots of reports of breakage that never find their way onto these lists.

Lately I just point everybody who asks me about NFS breakage to H.J. Lu's
rpms, and they go away happy.

Regards,

   Bill Rugolsky
   rugolsky@ead.dsa.com