Re: [patch] string-486.h modified

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 15:53:01 EST

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!

> > > I realy would like to see this code in use ;-)
> >
> > After you test it **THOUROUGHLY**, send a patch to Linus. I
> > recommend testing it in a user-mode program with all kinds of
> > sizes/shapes/lengths/offsets, etc., and making certain that you
> > don't destroy any registers that are "precious" for the
> > usual versions of gcc.
> >
> > If your patch doesn't hurt anything, even if it only adds marginal
> > performance, I'm pretty sure that Linus will accept it.
>
> I think patch like this is not safe for 2.4.X-pre.

Not safe only in that there is sooooo much stuff changed all at once
that it'd be a good idea not to change anything that doesn't have to
be changed. I agree.

> However, in 2.5.0 we should apply it, and force it on *all* cpus just
> to test it well. Then in 2.5.10 we should turn it off for
> pentium/MMX+.
>
> Pavel

Once 2.4 is released, has its usual bug-fixes, becomes reliable, then
Petko can send his diff. That way, new problems won't be thought to
be a result of his patch. That us a good idea.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.