Re: thread group comments

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 17:08:05 EST

> > 3rd Problem: one uid/gid process-wide
> >
> > All the ID (uid/guid/euid/egid/...) must be process wide. The problem
> > is similar to the signal handler. I think one should again keep the
> > information exclusively in the master thread and have all others refer
> > to this information.
>
> No, it would be another "clone" option.

You dont want it in kernel space. Not unless you plan to lock uid/gid access
and make them atomic. Think about things like file operations where the uid
changes under you on another CPU as you walk a directory tree checking
permissions..

Quota looks even more horrible.

Its also very rare and not a performance case to push into glibc