Re: thread group comments

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 17:23:42 EST

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > No, it would be another "clone" option.
>
> You dont want it in kernel space.

Oh, I basically agree, _except_ that Al Viro has these ideas pending for
2.5.x that basically create a "process capability cache" that is a cache
of all the process ID's and capabilities (ie uid, gid, groups etc). Which
would be this copy-on-write thing.

And that may end up mixing well with a "CLONE_CAPABILITIES" flag.

Which is not to say that this will necessarily get done. But other changes
may make it an option. I was just saying that if done that way, it would
be a CLONE_xxxx flag instead of "we will use the thread leaders ID" thing.

> Its also very rare and not a performance case to push into glibc

Yes. For 2.4.x, I'd love to fix anything that can be used to show real
performance bugs. Something like "setuid() is slow when I run it threaded
is not a real issue". Something like "pthreads is faster under NT than
under Linux" _would_ be a real issue.

                Linus