zero-copy TCP

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 03:45:41 EST

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Dan Maas wrote:

> There are various other tricks that can be done to speed up network
> servers, like passing files directly from the buffer cache to the
> network card. This one is currently frowned upon by the Linux
> community, [...]

FYI, the TUX patch (released yesterday) includes a lightweight zero-copy
TCP implementation for the 2.4 Linux kernel. The interface is not yet
exported to user-space (simply because TUX uses it from kernel-space so
the user-space bits were not needed), but the network driver framework and
TCP-stack bits are there, so the hard part is done. The two most widely
used gigabit drivers are 'converted' to support zero-copy, the SysKonnect
and the Acenic driver (the modifications are well tested). I plan to add
the user-space bits in the near future.

        Ingo