Re: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS for Linux

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 17:01:24 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 03:34:47PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> >
> > KDB is putrid. Can it debug double faults? NO. Can it debug complex
> > register and numeric evaluation statements like IF ((EAX == 1) &&
> > [ESP-4] == 0x3000)? NO. Can it debug nested task gate exceptions?
>
> remote gdb does that fine.
>
> I've never seen a nested task gate on Linux...

Of course not. Linux does not have a kernel debugger, or it would use
them. That's what they are used for -- debugging running tasks from a
kernel debugger that has it's own task gates. If you have nested task
gates, then you can debug the kernel debugger with them.

> > NO. Can it debug SMP locks races? NO. Can it debug priority inversion
> > problems in sleep locks? NO.
>
> Given. Priority inversion does not seem to be a big problem in Linux though
> (kernel threads usually run at the same priority, with the only higher
> priority being interrupts/bhs). Also the sleep locking seems to be generally
> simple enough that it is not a problem for user processes.

It will be when Linux finally implements real sleep locks in the kernel
instead of aliased semaphores.

> > Can the Kernel debugger in NetWare? YES. Can the Kernel Debugger in
> > NT? YES.
>
> I guess they need it ;)

I need it.

Jeff