Re: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS for Linux

From: Gregory Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 07:55:35 EST

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> KDB is putrid. Can it debug double faults? NO. Can it debug complex
> register and numeric evaluation statements like IF ((EAX == 1) &&
> [ESP-4] == 0x3000)? NO. Can it debug nested task gate exceptions?
> NO. Can it debug SMP locks races? NO. Can it debug priority inversion
> problems in sleep locks? NO.
>
> Can the Kernel debugger in NetWare? YES. Can the Kernel Debugger in
> NT? YES.

Can hundreds of people write Linux kernel code without significant
difficulty? YES. Can Jeff Merkey be forced out of the pool without
pissing in it first? Apparently not.

If your company lacks the skill set needed to do Linux programming, then
it's good that you are refocusing. However, I think it's shameful that
your organization is completely incapable of behaving maturely, and not
burning it's bridges. The tone of your statements makes it obvious you are
trying to slander Linux to draw attention away from your own failings.

When I read your announcement, I was shocked. I thought you had learned
not to drink-and-post and you'd stopped being such a jerk on l-k,
apparently I was just not paying attention. I highly doubt the world needs
another Netware, and I doubt a group with the level of maturity
you've demonstrated could even pull it off, but I wish you luck.

--
Gregory Maxwell
(awating the next package of legal threats from TRG, it's standard fare