Re: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS forLinux

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 03:12:58 EST

andre@linux-ide.org (Andre Hedrick) writes:

>On 3 Sep 2000, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

>> andre@linux-ide.org (Andre Hedrick) writes:
>>

>> >Apology to Jeff,
>>
>> >I am sorry to here of this, but I know what you mean about microsoft.
>> >My and co-worker's code for doing full taskfile access under linux was
>> >rejected here but is being used in MicroSoft Whistler 2001. They are
>> >quick to grab the very best of Linux and adopt it for their own.
>>
>> If you can prove this, then you could talk to FSF about M$ GPL
>> violations.

>You can not go after people for patches.

Hi,

>there is no GPL issue. Upon Microsoft's adpotion of the model they will

of course you can. Just don't release a patch but grab the driver
you're patching against (which is GPL), add your modifications and
release your driver with full task file access as a complete package
(including the full .c and .h files) under GPL which is compilant with
the available license. I think you can even do this with a patch. But
then again it is your call to add or name a license.

It is your code. You can put it under every license you want. You can
even put it under the "no white male over 28 years and left handed is
allowed to use this code unless he types it into the keyboard with
only his left hand and the right hand tied behind his back"
license. If is, after all, _YOUR WORK_ and you can choose to license
it in every way that you want.

There are even countries (like Germany) where you CAN'T give up your
copyright and put things into public domain. There is no such thing as
public domain here. You _always_ keep a certain copyright until
someone else assumes responsibility. It is for sueing people over
here. :-)

>Linux rejected the code because it does not understand nor does anyone
>have the desire to learn what it does. Since it is not in the kernel

Neither "Linux" rejected your code (may be Linu_s_ did) nor was it
rejected because no one understood it (you have a big ego to say
that. I would think that most of the developers here are able to
understand what your code does. There is no real magic in it) but
because there is an effort to stabilize and release 2.4. And, as Alan
said, sometimes things just miss deadlines. You don't keep introducing
new variables if you want to stabilize things. The existing IDE driver
works fine for normal operations so it was kept. I would bet much that
your IDE driver will be one of the first things included once 2.5 is
opened up.

Until then, nothing stops you from releasing patches against official
2.2 and 2.4 releases. I'm sure that many people will use it and SuSE
will put it into its kernel (they put everything they can find on the
net into their kernel :-) ). I will use it as I really enjoy the new
features for IDE under 2.2. But not on my business-critical machines
but on my Workstation and my machine at home.

>be years ahead of Linux. FreeBSD does something similar and I expect them
>to soon to begin laughing at us for being stupid.

Andre, it took me a while to realize that the best thing to cope with
"FreeBSD will laugh at us" to look onto the installed server and user
base and then to realize that BSD was years before Linux and failed
where Linux succeeded. And Linux did not succeed because it was aimed
"at the server market" or "at the end user" but because there is a
bunch of people _that_ _do_ _not_ _care_ _at_ _all_ about the
"marketability" of a feature but for the correct solution. As long as
decisions in the kernel are made because of good and bad taste, I'm
not at all afraid for Linux.

"They" came to Linux. Not vice versa. And "they" did not come just
because Linux is good. But because the alternatives are worse. And are
not improving. Just ask yourself why there was no such rave about the
release of the 4.4BSD code, the first FreeBSD and the first OpenBSD
release. It is not because their code is bad. But they have no cute
mascot as Tux and no all-famous benevolent dictator from Finland. :-)

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de