Re: Linux 2.2 - BSD/OS 4.1 ARP incompatibility

From: Matthew Kirkwood (matthew@hairy.beasts.org)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 04:57:44 EST

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I see the point, but it bites sufficiently often that I don't
> > understand why there is no interesting in improving this
> > behaviour.
>
> For a large number of scenarios it makes vastly more sense.

Please forgive my obtuseness, but I am unable to conceive of
one (beyond checking that your routing is symmetrical :-)

Could you elaborate?

> > With both interfaces up, it's impossible to apply anti-martian
> > rules to the interfaces, since it's hard to predict which card
> > will answer an ARP request.
>
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/.../hidden

So when lightning fries the primary ethcard in the machine,
I have to know the hw address of the second card to get in?

Also, it can be used to scan through a dual-homed host to
determine the address range in use on the other side, which
I'd rather wasn't possible.

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/\"correct\"_arp_reply_interface_selection
maybe?

Matthew.