Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: What the Heck? [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown]

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 23:11:59 EST

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> Then they need more competant admins. It isnt _hard_ to transproxy outgoing
>> smtp traffic via a spamtrapper that checks for valid src/destination and
>> headers.
>
>I can't believe that you are suggesting this.

Mindspring did this (maybe still does.) I think they successfully pissed
off every one of their (then) customers doing this shit. They lost an
unreported number of users as a result.

As an aside, they also have/had agressive transparent web proxying in
the network... everything on port 80 coming and going is/was cached.
EVERYTHING.

>The moment you being to start encouraging commercial ISPs to start
>meddling with the packets you destroy end-to-end transparency and shatter
>the freedom the Internet has previously experienced from the meddling of
>corporate money grabbers.

One could say this about SPAM in general. SMTP was designed as on open
transport. Now we have to go around and board up the windows so no one
can see inside.

>The moment I detect my provider changing anything beyond a TTL is the
>moment I find a new provider.

They aren't rewriting your packects; they just simply force you to connect
to _their_ mail servers for incoming and outgoing mail.

>As far as broadband service goes, just give the damn users fixed IPs and
>let the opt-in blacklists handle them.

ARIN (and other registries) don't like "static IP" ISPs. Besides, the
provider wants to be able to charge a s***load for a static address even
when their DHCP hardware already is configured to prefer reassigning the
same address -- people have been known to have the same address for months
even after prolonged down time.

--Ricky