Re: GPL violations: make it harder

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 00:49:06 EST

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.10.10009041355230.19131-100000@master.linux-ide.org>
By author: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > I have been following it in this list for longer - you cut the thing you are
> > sitting on when telling people who say "I saw GNU licence violation"
> > to not to bother or turn to other organization...
>
> There was no "GNU licence violation", because there is no GNU licence in a
> patch.

Then it's actually not licensed to anyone, and is thus illegal to use
by anyone (unless you say otherwise, of course.) You don't have to
put the symbol into something for it to be copyrighted (although a
legal copyright notice, meaning "", "Copyright", or "Copr", the year,
and the owner -- see the "Copyright" header of this message -- is
recommended.)

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt