Linux/MANOS Kernel Debugger

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 18:20:53 EST

I have written four OS's in my life (SAM, NetWare SMP, Wolf Mountain,
MANOS). In each I always developed components in this order:

1. Debugger
2. Kernel
3. Memory Manager
4. I/O Subsystem.

I always would write a debugger first that would run in kernel mode.
You need a special polling keyboard driver and a raw screen memory
interface that's self contained and not dependent on the kernel in any
way. On Intel, I would always use a task gate interface for the
exception handlers since this allows you to debug a trashed stack. If
someone trashes the stack, and you get a page fault, if there are not
task gates over the exceptions, it results in a double fault (which
turns into a triple fault when the double fault exception gets hit with
a trashed stack and reboots).

To do this in Linux is very simple. Hook the exception handlers with
task gates, create a TSS pool of free task gates, point the entry points
into the MANOS debugger, (except the NMI gate -- it can be an interrupt
gate since NMI interrrupts are prohibited by the hardware from ever
nesting), and implement the task switch code in STARTUP.386 in MANOS as
the gate entry stubs. Then the entire debugger could be moved en
masse. At present, I decode CODEVIEW and NT symbols, but you will also
notice that COFF symbol is also present in the debugger code -- the
helper functions just need to be plugged. The entire debugger uses
pluggable commands, register decodes, etc. and is easily moved to other
processors than IA32. In fact, the IA32 disassembler in MANOS comes
right out of GDB.

Since NMI's are not nested, I use the NMI xcall interrupt on the APICs
to perform TLB shootdowns since an NMI will always cut through running
code and reload CR3 on IA32. I also use the NMI interrupt to break into
other processors to debug them -- a very useful feature for a processor
hung in a loop.

There are special spin locks for the MANOS debugger -- it's fully SMP
and can debug complex deadlocks and lock ordering. MANOS implements
true sleep locks and has facilities for this, as well as semaphores.

I think it would not be hard to put this in. My problem is time and
"debugging the debugger" in Linux. The codes at our site and anyone who
wants to put it in is welcome to.

Also, MANOS is a Linux variant, so at any point, if Linus wants to "fire
me" from it after it's posted and him and Alan take it over, be my
guest.

:-)

Jeff