Re: 2.4.0-test8-pre1 is quite bad / how about integrating Rik's VM

From: Alexander Viro (aviro@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 19:26:00 EST

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Martin Dalecki wrote:

> Alexander Viro wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Martin Dalecki wrote:
> >
> > > Easy - the same way you do for cross compilation. Basically just:
> > >
> > > export CC=g++ --some-magic-long-option-i-dont-remember; make
> >
> > ... and you still have only a subset of the tree, simply because it is fed
> > through cpp before it reaches the parser. And cpp cuts away many pieces.
> > Different config options and you've got a different subset. Good luck
> > providing the coverage.
>
> That's not quite the problem - with the exception of the boundary cases
> of compleatly broken CONFIG_BLAH combinations... You have the fine
> .confg file there you know... Count them n and take the n! for all the
> possible config choices. Then you will see that THERE CAN'T be any
> better
> automatic approach then just what I have described above (ie. going
> directly into the compiler) and doing the CONFIG_ handling by hand.
> (I mean scripting for the most appriopriate choices...)

Oh, yes there is.

        if (CONFIG_FOO) {
        } else {
        }

gcc can optimize that away and parser will see the whole thing.

> > > Basically I will just guess: The next maybe non free version of
> > > source navigator will use the mechanism I have just described above.
> > > So maybe there is already someone at RedHat doing exactly this work
> > > already ;-).
> >
> > Physically impossible without a major cleanup of the tree.
>
> Yeah... let me be nice to you as well Source Navigator got released
> for free - since the project died inside RedHat anyway due to the
> fact that it's full of the worst coding practices I ever saw - like
> for example literally copy and paste Tcl/Tk/iTcl and such. So instead
> of buring it they just threw it "out of the window" for "free".

WTF _is_ Source Navigator? I'm not kidding - I have no idea what the thing
is. My IDE is nvi and I don't touch userland code I don't use. World is
full of crappy code, so I don't particulary care for random GUI stuff, no
matter where it comes from.