Re: 2.4.0-test8-pre1 is quite bad / how about integrating Rik's VM

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 21:44:24 EST

Richard Gooch wrote:

> It will probably take about 5 years after a new version of GCC which
> has this fix before we can trust it to produce correct code for the
> kernel.

I don't think it's that bad, Richard. As davem points out, the dead
code elimination works OK. Chris has a counter-example but I was not
able to reproduce that with 2.7.2.3.

The only problem I'm aware of is this tendency to leave dangling strings
in .rodata. Unfortunately you can't work around this with the linker
and -fdata-sections either. See
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-prs/2000-q2/msg00036.html

But still, doing the conditional compilation at compile-time rather than
preprocessing-time is so *nice* that if you don't have too many literal
strings floating about it may be justifiable.

In cs89x0.c you reduce the object size by 1.5k by setting DEBUGGING to
literal zero - no #ifdefs in sight.