Re: 2.4.0-test8-pre1 is quite bad / how about integrating Rik's VM

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 13:24:03 EST

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Martin Dalecki wrote:

> <IRONY ON>
> So may I just suggest to repleace the usage of cpp at all with something
> more
> suitable for the task at hand and with a much more regular/stringent
> syntax
> better fitting into the syntax of the pure C language like m4 for
> example?
> </IRONY OFF>

No. Still "better tools" variant. Check blk_dev_init() and tell me how do
you like the end of this function (drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c). BTW, check
how many of these CONFIG_... are needed anywhere on C level. Hint: see
module_init macro.

> <EVEN MORE IRONY ON>
> I think Java has the perfect solution for conditional compilation -
> don't
> make it possible at al in a sane standard way! Coditional compilation is
> evil
> like gotos (despite the fact that even every pascal implementation out
> there
> provided them).
> </EVEN MORE IRONY OFF>
>
> The main problem with the CONFIG_ blah's isn't either the syntax nor
> they current usage - the problem is inherent to the simple fact
> that the number of possible combinations is of a very high order due
> to simple combinatorics.

It's not a fact, it's a problem... It doesn't _have_ to be very high
order on cc level. ld - sure, but that's much simpler to deal with.