Re: Availability of kdb

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 16:33:36 EST

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > And quite frankly, for most of the real problems (as opposed to the stupid
> > bugs - of which there are many, as the latest crap with "truncate()" has
> > shown us) a debugger doesn't much help. And the real problems are what I
> > worry about. The rest is just details. It will get fixed eventually.
>
> Yes, no doubt you agree that stepping through the code with a source
> level debugger even once would have caught this one:

No I definitely do not agree.

In fact, I would never have seen that problem with _any_ debugger. It
simply would not have happened for me.

And guess what? I saw the bug without any debugger within minutes of
having been told what the problem was. A debugger would not have helped.

And that is the case in 99% of all cases. In most cases the people who see
the problem aren't the same people who can debug them. Giving such a
person a debugger doesn't help.

                Linus