Linux-2.4.0-test8-pre6

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 17:26:14 EST

Yeah. Maybe we fixed truncate, and maybe we didn't. I've thought that we
fixed it now several times, and I was always wrong. Time for some reverse
phychology:

I'm sure this one doesn't fix the truncate bug either.

But I have this ugly feeling that I'm coming down with the same flu that
everybody else in my family had the last week, so I'd better release this
before I start puking on my keyboard.

                Linus

----
test8:
 - pre1
    - Oops. Moved back stallion.c to drivers/char. It's not a TV driver.
      Never has been, and I don't see it ever really becoming one ;)
    - mca.c: outp_b() should be outb_p().  Obviously nobody actually
      _uses_ the MCA bus any more ;)
    - umsdos should be ok again after the page_address() type-changes.
    - re-enable asynchronous read-ahead code.
    - Sun ESP driver update
    - netfilter debug fixes
    - IPv6 needs to register before proto_init()
    - socket() error code fix (EAFNOSUPPORT instead of EINVAL)
    - potential TCP socket leak fix
    - don't self-deadlock on the kbd_controller_lock when probing for the mouse
    - CONFIG_SMB_NLS_REMOTE didn't work. Silly typo.
    - scheduler wakeup race condition could cause delayed scheduling on SMP..
    - net/packet/af_packet.c: use the standard macros for marking page resevredness
    - ncpfs buffer-overflow fix
    - thread groups, take 1.
    - USB storage driver update
 - pre2
    - The TCP socket leak patch _really_ went in this time.
    - get rid of more suser() checks in networking.. It's "capable(CAP_NET_ADMIN)".
    - sparc updates
    - alpha updates. Fast alpha xor for raid. AP1000 updates.
    - Wonders never cease. digiboard driver updates. Christoph Lameter is BAAACK!
    - SiS frame buffer driver updates. Can be used without a BIOS.
    - nfsd interface cleanup.
    - fix potential buffer overruns in get_partition_list.  Remove
      limitation of one page.
    - floppy driver capability cleanups. Use "request_region()".
    - handle dcache flushing when there are shared user mappings that
      may be dirty.
    - get rid of the "xxxx_ret()" user access macros. They are more complex than
      just doing the return directly and they hide what's going on.
    - fix up broken BIOSes that don't give unique ID's to different APICs
    - make more of the drm drivers compile on other platforms and know
      about the signal blocking issues.
    - net/atm/mpoa_proc.c: user-space access thinko
    - pcmcia: David Hinds: merge updates from 3.1.20
    - pcmcia: non-ISA machines really shouldn't use ISA interrupts ;)
    - ext2: truncate races and error code return fixes
    - true shared signals for pthreads..
 - pre3:
    - ext2: final truncate piece - fix the innd problem.
    - use "sfence" for x86 memory barrier when available.
    - remove the thread-group signal code for now: no feedback.
      Leave the cleanups in place so that we can add it back in
      cleanly later, but remove the new features.
    - ARM update.
    - released for Al Viro to check the truncate thing
 - pre4:
    - truncate really fixed this time. Everybody agrees.
 - pre5:
    - truncate. Guess what? We threw away the key to the clue-box.
    - simplify signal notification. And remember the spinlock.
    - VIA ide driver update (well, rewrite - the old one was buggy and broken)
    - network driver fixes (not checking for oom etc)
    - USB serial driver SMP locking fixes
    - fix memory leak on failed USB configuration queries
    - USB initialization using proper "init()" calls.
    - dvd capacity bug fix and other cdrom driver cleanups
    - sis5513 IDE chipset update
    - do_fork() - add "stack-top" for ia64 (and potentially other
      architectures that may care)
    - devfs support for LVM
    - quota transfer miscount fix
    - x86 checksum/copy prefetch
    - NFS sillydelete fix
    - mark_buffer_dirty() doesn't actually use the second argument. Delete it.
    - SCSI communications device - no need to complain about it
    - SCSI WP test fix (all pages, not just the first one)
    - epic driver update
    - fix pcmcia "driver asserts interrupts when booting up" issues
 - pre6:
    - trunate - the never-ending story.  Makes me feel like a long
      Kurosawa movie.  But in this one the hero _will_ survive, or my
      name isn't Maxwell.
    - SCSI tape driver potential memory leak.
    - XMM FP handler bug fix: we really must not change the FP error
      mask on exceptions.  People care.