Re: Availability of kdb

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 00:38:34 EST

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Daniel Phillips wrote:

> Mike Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Damien Miller wrote:
> >
> > > Tools like a KDB would make the kernel a lot more accessible to the
> > > time-poor.
> >
> > Kdb is available to all. I think it should be _integrated_ mostly
> > because of the (potential) improvement in bug report quality.
>
> Well, yes and no. As maintained by SGI, kdb is up to date:
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/www/projects/kdb/download/ix86/kdb-v1.3-2.4.0-test8-pre4.gz
>
> As maintained in the official ikd package, kdb is unusuably out of
> date, at least for me:
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/ikd/v2.4/2.4.0-test2-ikd2.bz2

It's the same kdb. (I do need to re-sync with Andrea though, memleak
has been busted and fixed since way back then) It happens the other
way around too.. sometimes ikd patches are against a more recent kernel
than the standalone kdb patch.

        -Mike

In any case, if the official release ikd is ever too old for anyone
(ikd is maintenance intensive. Andrea wouldn't get any work done if
he released for every pre-patch), drop a line via private mail and
I'll extract/send what I'm running. #include <buyer_beware.h> ;-)