[bug] USB pegasus driver (perhaps USB core?) no longer functions correctly

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 06:47:48 EST

Ok, more bothersome irk. =|

test8-pre4 was the last kernel the pegasus driver worked in. Since then
it refuses to go online. The code in the pegasus.c file hasn't changed,
so somebody in the middle broke. All the changes seem to have happened
in pre5. Here's what I've gleaned thusfar.

Messages trimmed for context:

(working messages)
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 4
usb.c: kmalloc IF c13885c0, numif 1
usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb.c: USB device number 4 default language ID 0x409
Manufacturer: SMC, Inc
Product: EZ USB/Ethernet Converter
SerialNumber: 0001
pegasus.c: eth0: SMC 202 USB Ethernet

usb.c: pegasus driver claimed interface c13885c0
usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 4
usb.c: kusbd policy returned 0x7e00
pegasus.c: eth0: set Rx mode
pegasus.c: eth0: set Rx mode
pegasus.c: eth0: set Rx mode

(non-working messages)
usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 4
usb.c: kmalloc IF cbed5660, numif 1
usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb.c: USB device number 4 default language ID 0x409
Manufacturer: SMC, Inc
Product: EZ USB/Ethernet Converter
SerialNumber: 0001
pegasus.c: eth0: SMC 202 USB Ethernet

usb.c: pegasus driver claimed interface cbed5660
usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 4
usb.c: kusbd policy returned 0x7e00
pegasus.c: eth0: link NOT established (0x7849) - check the cable.
pegasus.c: eth0: set Rx mode
pegasus.c: eth0: set Rx mode
pegasus.c: eth0: set Rx mode

For the pegasus output, the real difference is only the 'link
NOT established...' line. Other things seem to work if I plug them in
after boot up or if I unplug/plug. I.e. a Logitech mouse, doesn't show
up unless I unplug it then put it back in, then /dev/input/mouse0 shows
up.

-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was