Re: linux kernel TCP, network connections and iptables

From: George Athanassopoulos (athanas@real.macedonia.gr)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 16:39:09 EST

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

:By any _formal_ criteria there is no DoS here. You reply with one packet
:to each incoming packet and do not hold any state. Where is DoS?

  Maybe I did not make clear where the DoS is. Well my machine DOES NOT
  hang. But the NIC is busy replying thousands of RST's and thus it cannot
  even send a single packet outside to the pc next door. That is, its
  network is dead.

:
:Note, that as soon as you will try to remember state, you open way
:for true DoSes. 8)
:
:Alexey
:

  I did not say I want to remember states. I said to read what kernel
  has already in /proc/net/tcp but faster and kinda more native, to use
  it for a flash of a second.

--
George Athanassopoulos
http://www.real.macedonia.gr