Re: PCMCIA: 3CCFE575CT initialization probem under 2.4.0-test7

From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 17:47:42 EST

Andrew Morton writes:
> "Claude LeFrancois (LMC)" wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the info. I can run the script manually to get the NIC on the
> > network. But, by the mean time before a permanent fix, would it be a good
> > idea to apply the change I did to allow at least correct initilization for
> > eth0 ?
>
> Your suggestion could be a useful kludge if we can guarantee that
> Cardbus machines only every have a single interface (possibly
> reasonable).

Nope. I've got a friend who has a Viao with built-in EtherNet and he
has a wireless LAN card. He uses either depending on where he is.

Also, sometimes I plug in two PCMCIA network cards.

> - Kernel 2.3.99 has broken the PCMCIA tools. When a card is
> inserted the 'cardmgr' daemon is no longer told what network
> interface it has been bound to. Until this is sorted, the
> kludgearound I am using is to alter the PCMCIA script
> /etc/pcmcia/shared:

This absolutely has to be fixed. It's quite brain-dead. I've noticed
this before, but haven't gotten around to pestering anyone about it
yet (minor problems like yenta.o locking up and cardmgr crashing have
to be fixed first:-).

Can someone post why this has broken and why a fix is (I presume)
difficult? I'll have to look at this myself if no-one else fixes it by
the time the other issues are fixed :-(

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au