kernel 2.2.17 build reboots

From: Mark Hindley (mh15@st-andrews.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 06:59:24 EST

I have just spent a frustrating day trying to rebuild the 2.2.17 kernel for
my new Debian potato installation.

It configures and builds fine. I am using 'make bzdisk' and then booting
from the resulting floppy.

When the new kernel boots it just reboots itself. The screen flash is so
brief that I can't see exactly how far it gets. ? about one full screen.

The same result no matter how I configure the build except that i get a
hang if I enable apm.

I don't know how to gp about sorting this out. I am unsure if is a
compilation problem (gcc 2.95.2), hardware fault or kernel bug.

430TX motherboard, AMD K6 200, 2 HDs, CDROM, CDRW, S3 Video, ALS100 sound,
ISA modem.

The stock 2.2.17 in potato runs beautifully. I love linux! I need to
rebuild it to sort out my sound card and remove some of the excess bagagge.

Any suggestions about where to go? How can I be sure the hardware is okay?
How can I isolate what is causing the reboot?

Thanks for any help

Mark