Re: ECN & cisco firewall

From: Graham Murray (graham@barnowl.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 09 2000 - 05:07:58 EST

"David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> writes:

> The authors of rfc793 probably, in all honesty, really meant
> "must be set to zero by current implementations".

I agree, to me it seems obvious that the reason is so that these bits
could be used at some time in the future for some, then unknown,
purpose. Now that RFC 2481 has defined the bits, only implementations
which grok and support ECN should be setting these bits, older
implementations will (following RFC793) set them to zero and thus old
and new implementations should correctly interwork.